Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Linux MisterHouse

So, I'm trying to set up a Linux server. It took me three attempts to find one that works on an old Pentium 133 I've inherited, which is probably part of the problem. It only has 32 megs of RAM, but I've stripped out any graphical interfaces to run in pure text mode, so once I start to get things set up I can check whether it is sufficient. I haven't used much in the way of Unix/Linux for several years so I'm relying on documentation pretty heavily.

I started with a mini distribution of Mandrake 10.1 that I had burned to CD a while ago, for this purpose. It installed, but would continuously reboot after LILO and when starting initrd. So I scrapped that, and tried University Linux. It installed fine and booted fine. However, when I tried to run MisterHouse, it was not up to the task (improper Perl versions, etc). It didn't take kindly to XAMPP Linux either.

Success was found with RedHat 2.1 which I had on CD. I had purchased a book a year or two back about Linux (in the bargain bin), and I think it has version 2.0.x so it's not a recent kernel. However, it does match the hardware in historical terms. Misterhouse extracted fine and started to load. The configuration needs heavy work, however. Lampp also extracted and attempted to configure as well.

I've skipped the steps needed for installation (such as teaching Linux to use my network card - Mandrake auto detected my ISA 3Com 5c309B but RedHat did not), and having to hang on an ATAPI CD-Rom to boot from - no way was I going to use floppies if I didn't have to. Then setting up a remote login so I don't have to work on it in the basement workshop any more.

My current hurdle is configuring Samba to make it easier to transfer my settings from a Windows 98 server running MisterHouse, as well as make the CDs available for use. This computer was an auto mechanic's server, so it has 4 CD-Rom drives tied in with SCSI, that used to run library software. The 3rd and 4th drives are hosted in a custom box with only a SCSI plug and power plug. The main unit is built much like the IBM PS/2's used to be, with a custom rise to attach the ISA and PCI cards.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home